Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Chronicles Day 2: He Watches Me

The Lord watches over you;the Lord is your shade at your right hand Ps. 121:5




What can beat God's divine intervention in the face of situations where we know it only takes one silly move, bad decision or mistake and life could be gone within the twinkle of an eye.

When we decided to relocate from Nigeria, I had a lot of concerned relatives ask why I would leave the security of a good job to face the unknown in a country that was at the time going through an economic recession. One of my responses was, I just wanted to go somewhere I could sleep through the night without a scare. I had faced too many security near misses and I didn't know how many more I could afford to face.

Around Sept/Oct 1995 somewhere between end of SS2 to start of SS3, while school was on mid-term break, a few of us that were writing GCE stayed back in school as we had papers that weekend. Very deep into the fateful Friday night, we heard some movement on the door of our room and before we knew what was happening, a masked gunman broke into our room. Six teenage girls face to face with a matured armed man. He hushed us to be quiet, we were already too scared to make any sound anyway. With the gun pointed at each of us, we quickly handed in our pocket monies hoping the situation does not escalate. Then he got to most matured of us, who only had on a skimpy underwear and beckoned her to follow him. We knew what this meant. As she followed towards the door, she pleaded that we shouted, still we couldn't but thank God for the strength she found in that moment. Just outside the door she struggled with the man, we shouted and in a state of panic, he hit her on the forehead with his gun and fled. She passed out bleeding from the forehead but thank God who saved her.

Little did I know I was going to face similar situation four more times over the next 7 years; twice in one night on one of these horrendous occasions. On one occasion with a machete to my neck, on another hiding up in the ceiling, on another plastic bag wrapped around my mum's head and on the scariest occasion, our Dad has to physically tussle for his life when the gun was pointed at him. On one occasion, we could overhear the robbers’ conversation outside. 'Where is the money? the boss asked. We didn’t find it, they don't have it. Then go back and shoot them, he said. To our shock, the robber begins to plead with his boss not to come back in to shoot. Just then we heard a whistle in the distance and that brought the nightmare to an end. 

 I became so scared to stay at my parents’ home and will be the first to travel away to spend holidays with my relatives in Ibadan and Lagos. The year after the last face to face robbery incident, I started losing my sleep. No matter how deep I slept, I would wake up fully aware and scared at exactly 2.30 am which was the time the gun shot landed on our door the first time we were robbed. It seem minor at first, and I’d would be given very small dose of sleeping pills, then the dose increased slightly, then they stopped working and I was placed on a stronger one for a short while. It became so bad some nights, Dad stayed overnight in his shop and Mum too us  to sleep in her friend's house. When we slept at home, families did vigilante on rota during the night. We lived in fear in our own house.

It became unbearable and I finally took my fear to God in prayers. I asked God to show me he was with us and help me sleep. After all he said he gives his beloved sleep. After days of praying, one night I dreamt of angels hovering over our roof. Soon after on another night, I dreamt again, this time there were fast moving cars with siren driving round our house, and when the lead car pulled up in our compound, a tall man with grey beards came out looking strong and walked majestically to our door. He met me at the door, looked me in the eyes and said something like 'I am here'. I woke up and it was morning. I had slept all through the night. That was the end of my sleeplessness, I never had to use sleeping tablets to sleep again. I had peace knowing God was there with us.

I look back and imagine all the things that could have gone wrong on each of those horrible moments; rape, grievous bodily harm, maiming or murder. I needed to know that God was there and he gave me more than His word, he paid us a visit to reassure us of his presence. 

Thank you Lord for giving your angels charge over us.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Chronicles Day 1: My BE-ing

‘ For in Him I live and move and have my BE-ing’ (Acts 17:28) My transition over the years from the very shy and stuttering girl on the left to this bold, outspoken and confident woman on the right never ceases to amaze me.  For whatever reason, I just could not like myself. I grew up in a loving family, our parents put us first and gave us the best of everything but these voices in my head never stopped telling me I was not good enough. You're thin, you cannot talk smoothly, you are too tall, you are too this, you are too that, you are not this, you are not that! These thoughts went with me into teenage and despite being very bright academically these voices got louder and louder in my head until my late teen.  In 1998, I remember coming back home from polytechnic during my OND days and having this conversation with my mum. Days before, a couple of petite but mouthy friends had laughed at me in school again and told me I looked horribly thin & tall. Mummy,

Thanksgiving Chronicles 7: Planted and Surrounded

May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, Ruth 2:12   Credit:Uncle Debo Adeleke  Today as I mark the start of another year, the focus of my thanksgiving is on the family God planted me in and all those wonderful and amazing people that God has surrounded me with from the cradle up until now. Without God we are nothing and without the right people, life can become a lonely, desert island. I have so many things to be grateful to God for and could keep writing for days unending because God has never stopped doing me good. He daily loads me with benefits and marks my journey with his grace. Thank you Lord for my parents, parents who took their responsibility seriously and set our feet on the path of righteousness. Parent who prayed for us and thought us to pray and depend on God. My parents can pray!!! Ahh!!. The long list of people we pray for daily in morning devotion. If you are in a hurry to get somewhere, please

My Couples Weekend Away 2019 Experience

We've just returned from NCC Streatham'2019 Couples weekend away and every year just hasn't stopped surpassing the previous for us. The theme this year was THE MISSING LINK and I doubt if any of the around 40 couples in attendance anticipated what we will be finding.  The weekend started with an unforgettable 5 minutes introduction by Kemi Laleye based on the parable of Jesus about a woman who had 10 coins, lost one and rather than manage with the 9,did everything possible to find the one because without the one, she may be fine but will still be incomplete. She lit a lamp, swept the house, turned things upside down until she found the one, then rejoiced over it with her neighbours. We were told: you need to know you had it for you to even realise its lost,  the light though lit to find the missing coin will also exposed other hidden things  sweeping the house to find the coin will also consequently result in de-cluttering and  in finding it, we need to rejo