Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Chronicles Day 4: He Meets My Needs

Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? (Matt 6:26)

I love birds and have found it difficult to delete photos of these two. I won't put myself down as a bird watcher. Far from it. I no get time! (As we'd say in Pidgin English). Birds just remind me of Matt 6:25-34, one of my favourite passages of scriptures growing up. That’s not to say I had no worry. In fact quite the opposite. I was a worrier and at a point had to print these passage and place by my wall.
I photographed one of those birds in Clacton-on-Sea, UK and the other in Tel Aviv, Israel. Why do you need to know where? Because that reminds me that God’s provision is not a factor of geographical location. If he looks after birds all over the world, he’d look after me wherever I find myself.
I didn’t grow up with surplus but our parents worked hard and our needs were met as much as they could. In search for financial independence, dad transitioned from 9-5 to full time business while mum worked 9-5. It was a good idea at first and business did well but something happened at some point and things went downhill. I was on very lean pocket money at School and through most of my Uni days and will have to go home every other week for a replenishment of 200-300NGN. There was no room for manoeuvre and I knew how to manage myself without borrowing from anyone. In fact I doubt if anyone knew besides my very close friends.
I was doing well minding my own business until we had a Sisters weekend event in fellowship and I would be leading one of the special numbers. A dress/colour code was chosen that I didn’t have so I had to get it made. I managed to buy the material but did not have the money to sew it. I gave it to the tailor anyway hoping that I’d be able to raise the money from my next pocket money. After all the collection date was the same day I would be going home for my next replenishment. The problem with that was, on the day I got to Daddy’s shop and there was no money. He opened his drawer for me to see and truly there was no money! My heart was racing. It’s Thursday and the event was that weekend. What would I do? Knowing what Nigerian tailors can be like, I decided to check on the tailor anyway to see if she had finished making my cloth. If it’s ready, we'd take it from there.
When I got to the tailor, she went 'ahhhh welcome my sister, your cloth has been ready for some time. Sit down and let me go and pack them for you.'
Ehn! Even though I needed the cloth, that wasn't the response I hoped for.
I sat down like I actually wanted to collect the cloth and can’t even remember what was going on in my mind that minute.
It took her a little while and then she emerged with the bag. She moved close to me looked me in the eyes, sighed and said, ‘I need to tell you what happened in there.  While I was packing your cloth, the Holy Spirit impressed it on me to give them to you without taking any payment. If I am honest I struggled with that thought but it won’t stop. Have it and enjoy it. You’re really blessed’
I couldn’t hold back the tears and I remember how worried my dad looked when I walked back into his pharmacy before I told my story. Yes, God went that far for me. I learnt there and there to always take my needs to Him first before taking it to anyone else.
Fast forward to 2009, our 1st year in the UK and the toughest financially for us as a family. I had arrived 3 months before my husband and secured a job. Hubby had arrived later but wasn’t in a job yet. Resources were tight, very tight but thank God for surrounding us with family.
On this particular month, salary got paid on the 30th and once all bills were paid, we were left with £25 on the 1st day of the month. We had 2 children and a pay as you go electricity meter that had only £10 credit left on it. We did the account and looked at each other with that ‘What next?’ look. I remember Akin asking me to give him the paper we did our account on, let’s take it to God first.
I could have picked up my phone straight away and talked to someone but it’s just how we had been raised. We prayed about stuff first, then moved on to do something knowing God will order those next steps.
So we knelt by the bed side in our loft apartment, I can remember that spot vividly even now. We put that paper before God and asked for divine provision.
The next day or couple of days later, we received a call from Covenant Women (our church’s women’s ministry) asking for our home address. I expected it to be a courtesy visit to a new member but guess what: they turned up with a 10-15kg bag of Rice, a carton of plum tomatoes, 5L vegetable oil and that’s just the few I can remember now. Crazy right! We were stocked up.
When they left, me and Akin danced and danced and danced. God indeed was a prayer answering God.
My siblings and I were chatting recently and saying how rubbish we are at asking for favours. We ended up with the same conclusion, it isn’t pride but a combination of upbringing and dependency on God that had been taught us as we grew.
Indeed the young lions do lack, and suffer hunger: but they that seek the LORD shall not want any good thing. 

Comments

  1. God is faithful and He'll continue to be so for you and all yours in Christ Jesus name. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Chronicles Day 1: My BE-ing

‘ For in Him I live and move and have my BE-ing’ (Acts 17:28) My transition over the years from the very shy and stuttering girl on the left to this bold, outspoken and confident woman on the right never ceases to amaze me.  For whatever reason, I just could not like myself. I grew up in a loving family, our parents put us first and gave us the best of everything but these voices in my head never stopped telling me I was not good enough. You're thin, you cannot talk smoothly, you are too tall, you are too this, you are too that, you are not this, you are not that! These thoughts went with me into teenage and despite being very bright academically these voices got louder and louder in my head until my late teen.  In 1998, I remember coming back home from polytechnic during my OND days and having this conversation with my mum. Days before, a couple of petite but mouthy friends had laughed at me in school again and told me I looked horribly thin & tall. Mummy,

Thanksgiving Chronicles 7: Planted and Surrounded

May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, Ruth 2:12   Credit:Uncle Debo Adeleke  Today as I mark the start of another year, the focus of my thanksgiving is on the family God planted me in and all those wonderful and amazing people that God has surrounded me with from the cradle up until now. Without God we are nothing and without the right people, life can become a lonely, desert island. I have so many things to be grateful to God for and could keep writing for days unending because God has never stopped doing me good. He daily loads me with benefits and marks my journey with his grace. Thank you Lord for my parents, parents who took their responsibility seriously and set our feet on the path of righteousness. Parent who prayed for us and thought us to pray and depend on God. My parents can pray!!! Ahh!!. The long list of people we pray for daily in morning devotion. If you are in a hurry to get somewhere, please

My Couples Weekend Away 2019 Experience

We've just returned from NCC Streatham'2019 Couples weekend away and every year just hasn't stopped surpassing the previous for us. The theme this year was THE MISSING LINK and I doubt if any of the around 40 couples in attendance anticipated what we will be finding.  The weekend started with an unforgettable 5 minutes introduction by Kemi Laleye based on the parable of Jesus about a woman who had 10 coins, lost one and rather than manage with the 9,did everything possible to find the one because without the one, she may be fine but will still be incomplete. She lit a lamp, swept the house, turned things upside down until she found the one, then rejoiced over it with her neighbours. We were told: you need to know you had it for you to even realise its lost,  the light though lit to find the missing coin will also exposed other hidden things  sweeping the house to find the coin will also consequently result in de-cluttering and  in finding it, we need to rejo