Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Chronicles Day 5: He Made a Way

The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Ps 37:23


Only God can turn random and aimless wanderings to a journey into fulfilment. For someone like me who likes to be planned to the minute details, God has hijacked my plans severally and turned my random wanderings into things bigger than I could comprehend.

One of my biggest worries as an undergraduate was how I would get a good job after school when we did not have connections in high places. I remember a childhood friend-Seyi Oni visiting and we were having this same conversation. Mum overheard an interrupted our chat. She said, you guys don’t have to worry about anything. We have prayed for you. In your generation, it won’t be about who you know but what you know. Just keep working hard and standing out. You will all be ok. Thanks you Ma, we said looking at each other. I honestly didn’t see much sense in it at the time.

During our service year, one of my friends stopped at my place and told me she was on her way to the cyber café to apply for 1st Bank Graduate Trainee Programme. She knew I had always said I didn’t plan to work in a Bank but asked if I could walk her to the cyber café. I just went with her to keep company. When we got there, she said why don’t you try too. You don’t have anything to lose and they are taking people across every discipline. I reluctantly agreed and we both got started. When we got to the final page of the application form, there was a mandatory field for NYSC discharge certificate number. Without one you could not submit the application. In short we were not qualified to apply as we had not completed our service year. I told my friend let’s try a trick on this system and enter 0000000. What if it goes, she asked, and we get invited what we will say?
When we get to that bridge we will cross it, I replied. We entered 0000000 and guess what? The form submitted. We were invited to write the aptitude test. 

After the test we were told successful candidates will be invited in a few weeks’ time for interview. Once test was done, I took a week’s permission to travel to Akure to see my parents. While out there I convinced myself to stay the whole December and go back to Jos post-Christmas. I had nothing doing in Akure besides just enjoying time with my family and enjoying the festive atmosphere in town. 

One afternoon, I decided to go to the bank to withdraw some cash and then go to the cyber café to while away time. On my way out of 1st bank, I saw a notice on the board with Interview dates and venues for candidates that did the 1st Bank aptitude test in the Akure region. The date was that very day and the venue was the Area Office at Alagbaka Road.  I just read and thought Oh, maybe Jos region will soon announce result and interview dates then. I just walked away and headed to the cyber café. I didn’t even think to call Jos. That was how unserious I was about this banking opportunity.
The newest cybercafé in town was in Alagbaka road and I decided I was to go there because there was also an eatery right opposite it so my afternoon was pretty planned. As I walked into the Gate of the cyber café building, I looked up and saw that the 1st Bank area office was on the top floor. Ah! That was when I thought I could go in and enquire about Jos results and interview dates. When I got to the lobby, it was filled with smartly dressed young people waiting to be interviewed. There was me in a Denim mini skirt and T shirt with a flat slippers. Of course, the security refused to let me in. While I was begging and explaining to him that I only needed information. A smartly dressed woman emerged from one of the offices which I didn’t know was the interview room. I just broke protocol, walked past the security and straight to the woman.

Gd afternoon ma, I wrote the 1st bank aptitude test in Jos and wanted to check if the result was out as well as confirm interview dates so I can travel back. Coincidentally, she was Head of HR. She said, Jos results are out and they are interviewing today and tomorrow. Let me give them a call to see if you passed the test. She went back in and after few minutes came back to inform me that I passed the test and Jos office was happy for them to interview me in Akure. She looked me from head to toe and said, now I give you 1hr to back home and dress properly for this interview. I took a bike back home, grabbed my sisters newest skirt suit, mums shoe and hand bag and race back on the same bike. I was interviewed at 7pm and one of the questions was how i got my application through. I told the truth and the rest was history. 1 month after my youth service, I was in a banking job with no single connection! That how my career started and it has only got better and better!

God has done this for me so many times, I have lost count. When I got to UK, I interviewed for several food jobs and was always told you are qualified and we like you but you don’t have UK experience. When I eventually was to be interviewed for my first UK food job, I was not sure what to expect.  I entered into the interview room and the panel gasped loud enough that I heard. I wasn’t sure if I it was because they liked me or the opposite. The oral interview went smoothly, then it was time for the computer based test. I was presented with a mammoth excel data and asked to pull our come sub data sets and trends using some complex excel formula. They were specific they wanted me to use that excel formula and function. I have never done that formula before. In fact it was my first time hearing it. So I knew this one too was lost. They left me in the room and said they’d be back in 15 minutes. I decided since I don’t know the formula, I’d use my basic excel skills to do the task but with speed. 10 minutes into the test, one of the interview panellist came back into the room and locked the door behind her. She came closer and asked to see how I was doing. When she saw my work she asked why i wasn’t using the specified excel function. I have never used it, I replied. You cannot even begin to imagine what happened next.

She took my mouse from me, asked me to excuse her, sat down and did the task for me using the specified formula. Done! Save it. We’ll see you in 5 minutes time and she walked back out. I couldn’t believe my eyes but I still thought what could be worse than the interviewer doing the job for you. I have definitely failed this one on a big scale.

The panel came back later including the lady that had helped me, it was all goodbyes and handshakes and I left the building walking 10 minutes’ walk to the train station. As I approached the platform to enter the train, my phone rang and guess what. I got the job and the lady that had helped would be my line manager


Now tell me, how can I take credit for any of these? He is the Lord and he never shares his glory with anyone. In my life especially, he has never ever shared his glory with man. Thank you Jesus for making ways where there seemed to be no way


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thanksgiving Chronicles Day 1: My BE-ing

‘ For in Him I live and move and have my BE-ing’ (Acts 17:28) My transition over the years from the very shy and stuttering girl on the left to this bold, outspoken and confident woman on the right never ceases to amaze me.  For whatever reason, I just could not like myself. I grew up in a loving family, our parents put us first and gave us the best of everything but these voices in my head never stopped telling me I was not good enough. You're thin, you cannot talk smoothly, you are too tall, you are too this, you are too that, you are not this, you are not that! These thoughts went with me into teenage and despite being very bright academically these voices got louder and louder in my head until my late teen.  In 1998, I remember coming back home from polytechnic during my OND days and having this conversation with my mum. Days before, a couple of petite but mouthy friends had laughed at me in school again and told me I looked horribly thin & tall. Mummy,

Thanksgiving Chronicles 7: Planted and Surrounded

May the LORD repay you for what you have done. May you be richly rewarded by the LORD, Ruth 2:12   Credit:Uncle Debo Adeleke  Today as I mark the start of another year, the focus of my thanksgiving is on the family God planted me in and all those wonderful and amazing people that God has surrounded me with from the cradle up until now. Without God we are nothing and without the right people, life can become a lonely, desert island. I have so many things to be grateful to God for and could keep writing for days unending because God has never stopped doing me good. He daily loads me with benefits and marks my journey with his grace. Thank you Lord for my parents, parents who took their responsibility seriously and set our feet on the path of righteousness. Parent who prayed for us and thought us to pray and depend on God. My parents can pray!!! Ahh!!. The long list of people we pray for daily in morning devotion. If you are in a hurry to get somewhere, please

My Couples Weekend Away 2019 Experience

We've just returned from NCC Streatham'2019 Couples weekend away and every year just hasn't stopped surpassing the previous for us. The theme this year was THE MISSING LINK and I doubt if any of the around 40 couples in attendance anticipated what we will be finding.  The weekend started with an unforgettable 5 minutes introduction by Kemi Laleye based on the parable of Jesus about a woman who had 10 coins, lost one and rather than manage with the 9,did everything possible to find the one because without the one, she may be fine but will still be incomplete. She lit a lamp, swept the house, turned things upside down until she found the one, then rejoiced over it with her neighbours. We were told: you need to know you had it for you to even realise its lost,  the light though lit to find the missing coin will also exposed other hidden things  sweeping the house to find the coin will also consequently result in de-cluttering and  in finding it, we need to rejo